Sunday, August 7, 2011

Arrival

Our team arrived safely in Haiti and we were welcomed at the airport by heat and a live Haitian band.  We were picked up by a flat-bed truck with a cage on the back, and whisked through the streets of Port au Prince. As we drove through the streets of this impoverished, destructed, yet beautiful city, our group was silent, taking it all in.

Our first evening was spent being blessed by the incredible hospitality of our hosts, Smith, Katia and Dan.  We were fed a delicious, authentic meal with freshly squeezed juices from local berries and fruits. Tears fell as we heard the story of how the Gift of God Orphanage came to be and of the challenges  they have faced. We are staying in a very safe and lovely guest home. Much to our amazement, our rooms have air conditioners and private bathrooms with showers. We sat with our new friends late into the evening, sharing about how God has provided for this trip. We ate, we sang,  we prayed and  we laughed. This was a night we won't soon forget. 
 


Tomorrow, we attend church at the orphanage, spend some time loving on the kids and then will take a city tour.

We go to sleep tonight blessed and ready.

2 comments:

jamie said...

To Mom (AKA Margaret) and all team members:
So glad to see you all arrived safely. I am praying for an amazing week and that God uses all of you to touch the lives of the orphans and orphanage staff. That meal you had last night looked incredible. Speaking of incredible, the sermon Stuart Hall gave at church this morning was one of the best sermons I have ever heard. I hope you get to listen to the podcast some time this week. I cannot wait to see more pics and hear all the stories when you get back.
Thanks for being such a good role model regarding what it means to be a child of Christ and servant of God. I am very proud of you for knowing how God wants you to use your spiritual gift. I know you will be a blessing to those kids just as you are to me. I love you mom! Jamie

temp said...

Today it was such a blessing for me to pray for you while I was doing my race. God showed me many creative and intimate ways to pray for each of you by name as I raced and transitioned into each event. It truly was a day I won't forget soon....just as you won't forget your first day there. What a special day of bonding while miles away! I'm so glad we're all on the same team! Keep shining for Jesus and know I'll continue to bring you before our Master as He brings you to my mind. So proud of you guys! -Emily Everswick